First Alarm Structure Fire (in HDR)

You couldn't keep away from it My Precious. It calls to us.Whatever....

At 11:38 the call went out "structure fire at 24th street and Roosevelt" at Photography studio. I almost didn't go (because of the day before yesterday). I changed my mind, grabbed my bag and ran out the door. I got to 32nd st. and McDowell when I heard them call the balance of a first alarm. I got on the the freeway and off again at 24th st. thus skipping several lights. I managed to get there within 5 minutes, and before the cops. I parked about a half block away, grabbed my scanner, and camera then walked the rest of the way in. Engine 8 was parked by the front door and several crews were already inside fighting offensively. There were several off duty firemen who showed up, then the news people showed up. At approximately 11:55 the emergency tone was sent out and everyone was ordered out of the building. Engine 8, and the building owners car were moved from the buildings entrance an unmarked ladder began setting up. Ladder 11 to the east in a parking lot, and the other ladder to the south of the building. Around 12:00 there were several small explosions coming from the broken windows near the entrance on the east side, at 12:09 the fire began to roll out of the collapsing roof. The walls on the west side started collapsing inwards and the firemen began evacuating houses to the west. While I was watching and taking pictures a fireman (possibly a Battalion commander) was standing next to me all excited and said to me "Are you getting this!!", "Have you seen anything like this!!", "WOW look at that!!". I wanted to say "not since the day before yesterday", but I just said "not in a long time". Around 12:30 Chris called to ask if I knew what the smoke was from at 24th st. south of the freeway. I told him I was there. At 12:35 I was quite hot and tired and the police were starting to rope everything off and being general butt heads, plus the majority of the fire was knocked down. I got to my car drank a very warm bottle of water (mmmm warm water) and took off. At 13:38 command was terminated. While at the scene I overheard one of the battalion commanders talking to another fireman and saying that the buildings owner suspected arson, as he was there and saw someone doing something (I could not hear all of the conversation). Here are the pics:

Update: this picture taken the day after.

No comments: